Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No sugar tonight

I've been dreading today for about a month. This morning I was supposed to do a blood glucose test to find out if I have diabetes....at least I think that is what it's for.

I was supposed to fast 8 hours, drink this sugary orange drink and then get my blood drawn within an hour.

I had been hearing all these horror stories of how the hospital here is slow or registration took so long that people went over an hour and the test was no good. I did not want to be one of those stories. I borrowed a car so the bus couldn't make me late and made sure to drink my orange sugar right before I left. Registration did take forever and I was getting really nervous.

After he took my blood I noticed it had been 1/2 hour since I drank. I mentioned this to my doctor and she says that they aren't supposed to test early because there is a really good chance I will fail.
Awesome.

The next test is 3 hours instead of just one.

Can't wait.

6 comments:

mikensi said...

ugggh. i don't look forward to that one! fast for 8 hours!? wtf? how am i supposed to do that when i have to eat and eat and eat so i don't get sick! i miss you, btw! it's fun to read your blog :)

Amber said...

Bummer! I hope that everything goes well :)

lex said...

This does not sound fun. To distract yourself from the fasting next time, I suppose you should blog. Because I want to hear more about your substitute parenting. And how your Italian squash pasta turned out.

lex said...

p.s. - your comment moderating message sometimes makes me nervous. I click "publish comment" and then see the message and think, "Ooo, I hope she approves this one!"

Alysha said...

i like your face in this picture. :)

Nate and Sum said...

What did you think of the orange drink? I didn't think it was too bad. Actually I kindof enjoyed it!